The Castle Hotel (Taunton) Ltd is committed to minimising the adverse impact that our business activities have on the local & global environment. We will ensure our operations comply with Environmental Legislation and we will continually strive to improve our environmental performance.
As part of this initiative, we've reduced our plastic usage and have switched from single use plastic toiletry items to bottles made of wheat straw that are compostable. We no longer use plastic straws and buy many products in glass or alternative containers wherever possible. We also offer reusable coffee cups in BRAZZ for our customers with the benefit of additional savings when they return with their BRAZZ cups.
- We notify our stakeholders of our Environmental Commitment & Policies by various methods of internal & external communication.
- We have an elected designated Green Team & Champion who monitors our progress and focuses on our development.
- Our Action Plans are reviewed on a regular basis.
- The Green Team supports our managers & employees to work in an environmentally responsible manner and provide training when necessary.
- Our Green Team liaises with our product suppliers to ensure our staff are trained how to utilize products and services efficiently.
- We audit our waste, water and energy consumption on a monthly basis to identify areas where efficiency can be improved.
- We continually seek ways to improve the lifespan of products.
- We source environmentally friendly alternatives to our current fittings, fixtures and appliances.
- Our major plant equipment is serviced and reviewed on a regular basis.
- A Procurement Policy is in operation throughout the company.
- The company considers the environmental attributes of products & suppliers to determine the extent to which the specifications could provide an environmentally preferable option.
- Where feasible, we source local products.
- We engage in Joint Procurement to reduce transport costs.
- When possible and where practical, we will reduce waste at source.
- We actively reduce the non-recyclable waste produced by the hotel.
Energy Management Systems:
We have a recycling program in operation. We recycle:
- Tetra pack
- Ink cartridges
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Where possible, we donate items of clothing to charities and animal welfare societies
Bulk Purchasing /Reduced Packaging:
The following items are purchased in bulk therefore reducing packaging, transport and costs:
- Cooking oil
- Towels & linen
- Multi–use dispensers
We provide information for guests on areas of local interest – historical, cultural, local biodiversity and how they can assist locally through minimising their impact. This information can be sourced from:
- Our Guest Directories
- The company websites
- The reception areas
We provide information to guests on how to access the hotel via public transport.
We have an information tent card located in bedrooms to advise guests that a towel re-use and waste separation system is in operation.
Whenever possible, we contact guests and suppliers via email to reduce the amount of paper consumed by the company.
The Castle Hotel has a list of approved suppliers who are selected by the Company Directors and the Purchasing Manager.
During the evaluation process, the company considers the suppliers products and services to determine the extent to which the specifications could provide an environmentally preferable option. The company will purchase:
- Reusable Products
- Renewable Products
- Compostable Products
- Locally Sourced Products
- Products with minimal packaging
- Energy efficient appliances
- Reduced toxicity /eliminated products
- Reduced water & air polluting products
Sourcing from Local Suppliers:
Where possible, we do our utmost to provide support to local enterprises such as:
- Advertising in local media
- Recommending local shops, services & tourist attractions to our guests
- Buying food produce from local suppliers
The Castle Hotel has been retrofitted with energy efficient bulbs in the most populated departments. This is an on-going project.
A 'Water Flow Rate' study has also been conducted and 'Low flow' water reducers have been installed in guest rooms where required.
Internal & contract maintenance teams monitor our systems & services on a continual basis, they include:
- Major plant equipment
- Heating systems
- Water systems
- HVAC systems
- Lighting systems
Voltage Optimisation System:
This system was installed in 2016 to reduce the hotels power consumption by a minimum of 9%.
The Castle at Taunton
Taunton TA1 1NF
Tel: 01823 272671